Results Day

So, personally, I hate results day. The idea of a grade on a piece of paper that can determine your future based mostly on your memory and talent for writing things in a particular way is absurd to me. Why do so many people determine their self worth based on these grades? I'm not judging - I did exactly that until the final year of A Levels, and it just put far too much pressure on me and my mental health that was quite simply unhealthy. 

I think there's so much pressure on young people to get A* and go to uni, when that's just not everyone's dream or reality. I always dreamed of going to uni until last September when I decided it just wasn't for me, and it was the BEST decision I've ever made. Luckily my parents and friends were all so supportive when I told them, and I just wish that everyone could be that understanding! 

Another thing I can't stand about results day is the amount of social media that becomes involved, and quite frankly how insensitive some people can be about their results. This is such a difficult subject, as personally I'm proud of my A Level grades and so are a lot of my friends (and rightly so, we all worked SO hard for them), but some people aren't as proud. In my experience a lot of people that didn't get the grades they either wanted or needed, worked just as hard as people who got typically 'good' grades, which obviously makes it even more heartbreaking for them. 
               OBVIOUSLY people who got amazing grades and are proud of them should do exactly that - be proud (everyone else is proud of you too!) - but please please please take into consideration that other people aren't feeling the same way. There's so many posts saying 'Omg I got AAA* I'm so happy, I worked so hard, I'm going to uni to do my dream course!!!!', which is amazing for them but soul crushing for the people that worked insanely hard and didn't get the grades they wanted - just think twice before you post about how good your grades are and how it'll change your life completely (because to be honest, one bad - or good - A Level grade won't change your life, or how happy you are).

I guess the only thing I really wanted to say was congratulations to everyone who got the grades you wanted and needed, but it doesn't matter if you didn't get those grades - you've got your whole life ahead of you, and you can do ANYTHING you want to do (important piece of advice that I've taken from my rents, thanks guys). Good luck to everyone <3

Love, from George xx

Comments