Theatre


As a lot of you know, theatre is my life right now; the tech mostly, but also the atmosphere and opportunities that come with it. I’ve been involved in some form of theatre my entire life, from acting when I was 6, to now doing the lighting for shows, and I can easily say I’ve loved every part of it. 

Saying that technical theatre is ultimately the thing I love doing most is really scary for me – it produces such a vulnerable side of myself which I’m not used to seeing – but also so liberating, how many people can say what they do is something they completely love doing? I never thought this would be my thing, I’ve always been an academic person, and my entire life I wanted to go to university and get a typical job that ‘helps’ other people, and I’ve struggled with the fact that that idea has been turned upside down. At first I felt guilty for doing something which I loved so much, something that didn’t directly ‘help’ people, but the more I’ve done it, the more I’ve realised that it’s okay to do things for you, ultimately, you’re the most important person in your life, you need to do what makes you happy.

The more I’ve done this, the more I’ve also realised that although it doesn’t help people in the same way becoming a doctor, or scientist, or lawyer would help – its an escape for people (myself included), and personally I think that’s just as important to have in your life. For some people their escape and way of relaxing is drinking, or watching tv, but for others it’s the theatre, and watching other people perform – and to be able to help people do that is my favourite thing (for both the actors and the audience) and I wouldn’t want to be doing anything else. 

I’ve found that a lot of people who aren’t in this industry see it as a male-based place, what with the lugging about and late nights (2 shows and a get out in one day somewhat takes it out of you), but I’ve not met one single person in the theatre who judges me or thinks I can’t do this because I’m a girl – and being completely honest, I was scared of that. It’s a scary thing putting yourself out there in an industry mainly filled with the opposite sex, but the people I’ve met through this have been some of the nicest people I’ve ever known – and I’ve definitely made friends I wouldn’t have made any other way. 

I think the most important thing to mention is how supportive EVERYONE has been of this – especially because of how this wasn’t my original plan, so I think it kind of shocked everyone that I took such a u-turn with this. The support from my family and friends has been overwhelming, and exactly what I needed when I was deciding whether this was the right choice for me, and I can never thank them enough for that!

I guess what I want people to take from this is that whatever you want to do and whatever makes you happy – go for it – its your life at the end of the day, and you’re the one who has to live it, so you might as well fill it with things that make you happy! And please please be supportive of your friends and family, in whatever they want to do, it’ll mean the world to them, as it has done to me!
I hope you all find something you love doing as much as I do. 

Love, from George xx


Comments

  1. Totally agree George. When you love the job you're doing it comes across to other people and they enjoy the experience too. When you're a working person, the majority of your waking day is at work and if you love what you do, that day is a hell of a lot more pleasant! It's not about money or status but how you live your life in work and out!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment